Monday, May 28, 2007

I know it's over

I picked up a copy of Hallelujah on 7" today in Road records here in Dublin. Apparently it's a limited edition seven inch but I imagine its limited to about 20,000 copies or so. I already have it on the album 'Grace', however my four year old likes Jeff and will often say 'Put Jeff on'. He appears to be on first name terms with Mr Buckley even though he was born long after Jeff's untimely demise in 1997. Sure the young fella wasn't even a twinkle in my eye at that stage.

The real reason that I bought the seven inch is that there's a cover version of 'I know it's over' by The Smiths. I had read elsewhere that he used to perform a medley of 'Hallelujah' and 'I know its over' when he played live gigs. Buckley played Dublin in 1994 but I missed him as i wasn't on the Buckley buzz at that stage of my life. More's the pity. You can check out The Smiths version here. The video is of a bloke signing the lyrics to the tune. I think Jeff would like it.

A mate sent me a link to the Fight Like Apes MySpace thinking that I'd like it. Guess what? He was right. They're a band from Dublin and I've seen their names on posters but I had no idea what they were about or what they sounded like. They were playing support to The Hedrons in Whelans tonight but i only found that out five minutes ago. You can check out a couple of their tracks here. I'd recommend 'Jake Summers' to start as it has some hilarious lyrics.

No comments: