Tuesday, May 8, 2007

odds and ends

I was checking out Jools Holland's Later on the tellybox the other night and there was quite an interesting line-up as always. Amongst those artists were Tinariwen, Arctic Monkeys and CSS. There was also a cringeworthy appearance from Bryan Ferry singing two tunes from his ill-conceived Bob Dylan covers album, 'Dylanesque. Check out his website, especially the bit where he denies being an admirer of Fascism and Nazism and apologises for statements he did not make.

CSS, from Brazil, were fairly ramshackle and rocking as is their wont. The lead singer LoveFoxx wrecks my head a bit but I still dig their vibe.

I was really impressed by the Arctic Monkeys. I've largely ignored them since they came on the scene owing to the large amount of press about them. I don't know why as they were in startling form the other night. They played a couple of tunes that I hadn't heard and the lead singer has an amazing voice. I guess I'm finally going to have to buy something by them.

Once again the brilliant Tinariwen blew me away. These guys (and gal) are the absolute business. A blend of African drums, desert blues guitar and some freaky chanting and hollering. It sounds like it could be a potential cacophony but it is in fact a euphonic experience. Apparently they met in a training camp run by Gadaffi in Libya and I'm sure that I've mentioned them in an older post. For those of you that have not yet had the privilege of hearing or seeing them I've posted some footage below.



PERSONAL STATEMENT

I would like to rebut certain accusations made in the media concerning the personal affairs of Matt Vinyl. It is not true that I like shit music. The fact that I buy and play shit music in no way infers that I actually like shit music. I apologise to all the people who have had cause to believe they were listening to me play shit music over the past 20 years.

No comments: