Saturday, November 17, 2007

back on the trail


It was a pretty slow week on the seven inch front. I did however manage to pick up a few bits and pieces to tide me through the weekend (and another blog post).

The first tune for discussion is a re-release of 'The things that dreams are made of' by The Human League. I've a bit of a soft spot for these guys and although I have this tune on a couple of formats already, one more won't take up that much space. This seven is apparently a limited promotional run of 500 copies but I never believe that shite. The a-side is a remix by the original Human League producer Martin Rushent and the flip side is remixed by Kompakt's Justus Kohncke. The Kohncke mix is very nice and doesn't stray far from the original but does beef it up slightly in the bassline department. There's a Kissy Sell Out mix doing the rounds and you can listen to it here.

Speaking of remixes, I picked up '1,2,3,4' by Feist and on the b-side there's a deadly mix of 'Sealions'. The song is a reworking of an old Nina Simone tune and the remix is by Montreal based, Chromeo. An interesting fact for any turntablists is that one-half of Chrome is A-Trak's brother.

I've been having regular lunchtime chats with the lads in All City Records over the past few weeks. I was flicking through some of their sevens and I chanced upon 'Murder she wrote' by Chaka Demus & Pliers. This is not to be confused with the television programme featuring the wizened Angela Lansbury but rather is the Jamaican dancehall classic of the same name. Best still it has the version on the b-side.

The only other purchase of note was the 'Dollar' soundtrack by Quincy Jones on vinyl. It features a good few Quincy instrumentals and also a couple of other tunes sung by Roberta Flack and Little Richard. I saw the movie years ago but I remember it being pretty shit.

1 comment:

Michelle Dalton said...

There is an awesome remix of 1,2,3,4 on the new Kitsune Boombox CD which is bloody stunning - a total return to form after the relatively disappointing Kitsune 4.