Sunday, September 14, 2008

music, comedy and other pursuits


Myself and my two eldest boys decided that we’d check out ‘Show & Prove’, a breakdance showcase that took place in the Spiegeltent yesterday afternoon. I’ve had a keen interest in break dancing since my childhood days in the Dublin suburbs. The first two albums that I ever bought were both breakdance albums. Unfortunately all my enthusiasm never transferred to the art of breaking. I could manage the odd pop, a half decent moonwalk and some poor backspins. Myself and the kids have spent hours on YouTube checking out various b-boys strut their stuff. Nothing compares to the real thing though. Thanks to Paddy from the Choice Cuts Crew for sorting me and the kids out. We had a rare old time of it. The breakdancers hailed from all around Europe by the looks of them. I don’t know any of their names but a lot of them were shit hot. There were a couple of ropier dudes, including one skinny Spaniard., that I could have beaten in a battle. Fortunately I preserved my modesty and just stuck to watching. Sounds on the day were provided by Paddy and Mat. Big up. As I mentioned previously, the Choice Cuts gang have a few gigs in The Spiegeltent as part of the Fringe Festival. Tonight sees rap legends The Sugarhill Gang take to the stage. You can also catch the Trojan Sound System and The Dynamics next Friday evening. That’s one not to be missed.

We met up with the rest of the family and decided to check out the in-store appearance by Lisa Hannigan in Tower Records. I’m so glad that we did. Since I bought the album the other day its been on full time in the gaff. It’s very well produced and in some ways it reminds me of the ‘Hour of the Bewilderbeest’ by Badly Drawn Boy and some old Mary Margaret O Hara stuff. By that I mean the production reminds me of it, not the music. Anyhow, the missus and the kids squashed up to get a good view of the performance and they weren’t disappointed. There’s something alluring about Lisa Hannigan and her music. Herself and her band seemed at ease with each other and the audience. They were brilliant. I, however, was carrying a heavy child and sweating profusely. I could only stay for four and a half tunes before I had to get out for some air. The kids were snapping that I made them leave, they loved it. The new album ‘Sea Sew’ is out in all record stores. You can catch Lisa on her current tour of Ireland, she’ll be playing The Button Factory this coming Friday and will be in Whelans on the 20th for an afternoon and evening show.

Right, I’m not hanging around. I’m off to see Jimmy Carr in the Olympia tonight. The last time I saw him he had his book of jokes open in front of him and just read the whole lot out. I also tried out a joke on him in the lift. Let’s hope we get on better tonight.

No comments: