Thursday, May 3, 2007

it's a serious business


I bought the 7" of 'Thou Shalt Always Kill' by Dan le Sac and Scroobius Pip a few days ago. It's a simple enough synth riff and drum machine with some banter over it. It's going to sound pretty funny when I play it in a few years time. It's more of a commentary than a song but it's still pretty good. It will serve as a snapshot of 2007 for posterity. The video is at the bottom of the post.

I also picked up a 7" by Dublin based prog rock outfit Twinkranes the other day. It's called 'Plateau' and you can listen to it or check out the video on their myspace. They're a good bunch of buzzers and they've made a few of their tunes available for download. Well done the Twinkranes. I must admit that I'm not overly au fait with the Dublin rock scene at the moment. I must try harder to check out a few more bands over the coming months.

I've a jolly old blag lined up for the June Bank Holiday weekend. I'm heading off to the Smithwicks Cat Laughs comedy festival in Kilkenny. Their website hasn't been updated yet so I'm not sure who I'll be going to see. I went to it last year and saw around 25 acts over two days. It was the best and only comedy festival I've ever been to. The place was bathed in sunshine for the few days we were there and i'll be hoping for similar clement weather this year. You can't move in the place without bumping into comedians. They say you should never meet your heroes and thankfully I didn't, as Bill Hicks died a few years ago. He wouldn't be in great shape. However I did attempt to crack a joke to Jimmy Carr in a lift and he gave me a death stare. He also had a bit of a sweaty head on him! I met Kevin Gildea in the chip shop and he was pretty surly too. It's true what they say you know! Comedy is a serious business!

1 comment:

mp3hugger said...

The Cat Laughs is brilliant. Saw the Ross Noble there for the first time. Also tried my first Smithwicks and promptly vomited all over myself, my god how can people drink that stuff.