Tuesday, June 19, 2007

total dedication and a lot of devo...................tion


I picked up the latest 7" by Pharoahe Monch today. It's entitled 'Body Baby' and is taken from Monch's new album 'Desire' which is set for release in the next week or two. This particular tune is a peculiar blend of rock n'roll and rhyming. It might sound a bit odd but believe me it's not. Mind you he does look a bit of a state in the video for the tune.

I also picked up an album by Devo today. It's their 7th studio album from 1988 and its called 'Total Devo' and is generally acknowledged as their worst album. That's a good enough reason to buy it in my book. It was the first Devo album that was made after the departure of their drummer Alan Myers who'd been with them since 1975. He was replaced with David Kendrick from Sparks but I don't think you can blame its faults on him. They were obviously going through a difficult creative patch at the time. It still has a couple of good tunes on it that were worth the asking price. They're playing on Thursday night here in Dublin as part of their first European tour in 15 years. I won't make it because it's my good lady's birthday and she'd hate Devo so I expect you all to attend in my absence. Enjoy the North American nutcases as they strut their stuff in Vicar St. I've posted a video below of them performing as their opening act 'Dove - the band of love'. You can also check their MySpace here

No comments: