Wednesday, September 26, 2007

the meek shall inherit the earth


Joe Meek was a bit of a buzzer if all is to believed. I picked up a release on seven inch the other day that features Joe Meek's famous (in some circles), Night of the Vampire. It's one of those mad tunes from the time before synthesisers or fancy editing software. It's a promotional EP release featuring four tunes from 'Vampires, Cowboys, Spacemen, & Spooks: The Very Best Of Joe Meek's Instrumentals'. I'm not sure that I could listen to sixty of his tunes in a row but the four on this EP are pretty good. I'd never heard of this chap Meek before I picked up the record but it was worth every cent of the €7.99 that I had to pay for it. It's not always a happy ending though. On the February 3 1967, at the age of 37, Joe shot his landlady then killed himself. That's one way to get around paying the rent.

1 comment:

droid said...

'I hear a new world' is floating about on vinyl reissue at the mo in Dublin. Its definitely worth checking out - considered to be a pretty important early electronic record...