Sunday, January 20, 2008

no country for aul fellas


I checked out the Coen brothers new movie 'No Country for Old Men' over the weekend. The more I think about it the more I like it. It is also one of those movies that has no real ending. It reminds me of another completely unrelated Belgian movie called 'L'Enfant' where there is no conventional end. Both open a window into the lives of others, you experience a taste of their lives (or deaths) and then the window is closed again. You know that if you followed the characters there's another movie beyond the one you've just seen. What a buzz it must be to make great movies. It's a good buzz watching them anyway.

I'm not going to review it because I'm shit at reviewing stuff. If I'm writing about it then that usually indicates that I like it. If I don't like it then I'll usually state that. Luckily there are paid professionals who write about stuff so I don't have to. Here's the Philip French Review of the movie. Here's the James Christopher Review also. Or you could check out Michael Dwyer's Review. But the best review of it that I've read is this one but it makes far more sense once you've seen the movie.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Going to see this tonight, can't wait. Well I can, but I know I'm going to love it.

red said...

AAAAaaahh, it doesn't open in Rome for months. I am going to die of anticipation.

Matt Vinyl said...

jusk - I like it even more today. Let me know what you make of it.

red - I was sitting beside a bloke the other day who was already watching a bootleg copy of it on his laptop.

Anonymous said...

Saw this last night....a brilliant but strange ending and all round great film! One of those rare films you immediately want to watch again as soon as the credits roll!

Matt Vinyl said...

AA - I've been bigging it up to every one that I meet. My wife says the book is better, but people who've read the book always say that about the movie version.