Friday, January 11, 2008

vinylly it's happened to me


I intended to buy Isaac Hayes' 'Hot Buttered Soul' on a number of occasions over the last 10 years or so. I used to borrow the Don Rosco's copy when we shared a house. I only realised how much I liked it when I couldn't access his copy any more. I was chatting with the lads in All City Records and when flicking through their racks I came across a copy. I bought it on the spot. Better late than never. For those of you unfamiliar with this perfect slice of musical history it features only four tunes but stretches to about 45 minutes in playing time. The first track is a brilliant cover of the Burt Bacharach & Hal David classic 'Walk on By' and the other three tracks are pure Hayes soul. I couldn't give it a higher recommendation.

I wrote about the New York teenie sensations Tiny Masters of Today in a previous post. They released 'Hey Mr DJ' on 7" late last year but for some reason I missed it at the time. I was luck enough to find a copy in Road Records yesterday and although I'm not mad about the tune the b-side features a CSS remix thats rocking. The kids are alright. Dave & Julie were also telling me that they thought the Super Extra Bonus Party was good so I bought that as well. I've only had one full listen through but I've already heard a diversity of styles. One tune reminded me of Plaid, another of early nineties French hip-hop. It's too early to pass any judgement on the music at this stage but my kids love the album cover. Well done Niall and SEBP, you're a hit with the kids.

The only other purchase of note in the last couple of days was acquired in Big Brother Records. It's an old 7" from 2005 by Hardkandy and its really good. I only bought it because there was an Elmore Judd remix on the b-side but the a-side is now more favoured. The tune is called 'Three Days' and was released on Catskills Records

Have a good weekend. And if you're reading this next week then I hope it was a good weekend.

No comments: