Wednesday, March 14, 2007

a musical interlude


I picked up a copy of the new album 'Can Cladders' by High Llamas today. I've been a fan of Sean O'Hagans since his days with Microdisney. He has a good ear for a tune and this latest offering doesn't stray from the High Llamas formula. These guys are a band that you either really like or hate. Some people find the Beach Boys sound a bit twee or tiresome but I tend to put them in the category of a downbeat Stereolab. Both High Llamas and Stereolab (and of course The Beach Boys) share a love of simple harmony and this is evident in their respective work. I've only listened to the new album a couple of times and I think its sounding good.

It got me to thinking what the story was with his old Microdisney pal, Cathal Coughlan ? It turns out that Mr Coughlan is playing here in Dublin on 25th March in The Sugar Club. It also turns out that its €35. I wasn't too interested in Cathal after that.

No comments: