Monday, March 10, 2008

sweet talking


This Thursday sees the return of Sweet Talk to The Sugar Club. I was at the last one of these in Dublin back in November and there was a mad drunk culchie chick telling the guest speakers that they were boring. Let's hope that she's learnt her lesson this time around and stays away. Even though I thought she was pretty funny the designer set could only tut-tut at her behaviour the last time out. This session sees a host of Irish design talent grace the podium with a selection of their design work and some accompanying narration. It's a great night out if you just want to have a couple of beers and listen to people talk about what they do for a living or for kicks, or sometimes both if they're lucky. The guests this time around are the Fashion stylist, Aisling Farinella, animators & producers Brown Bag, the illustrator Colm Mac Athlaoich and photographer, Matthew Thompson. Bring your MacBook and designer spectacles and a few quid to buy me a drink.

I picked up a couple of seven inches in town today but I really should have listened to them before I shelled out for them. The first is 'Cassius' by Foals and although its by no means the worst, I've enough average shite filling my shelves already. I can really do without space fillers when space on the shelves is at a premium. I still haven't sorted out new shelves for my seven inches. Does anyone know of a good carpenter? And I don't mean Karen or Richard! Foals play The Academy here in Dublin on April 20th.

The second tune that I picked up is by Cazals and its titled 'Life is Boring'. I only bought it because it was on the Kitsune label. Kitsune have put out a few decent tunes but this isn't one of them. It sounds like a wedding band trying to sound like Bloc Party. If its any consolation to the band my seven year old likes it. I asked him if he thought it or 'About you now' by The Sugababes was better and he plumped for the latter. I agree with him in his assessment. Cazals play The Button Factory on April 11th but if I was you I'd go and see Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings in the same venue on the previous evening.

I'm finding it hard to get time to write here in the evenings. I'm on evening duty with the new little fella and he tends to come alive at this time. He'll sit happily all day but likes to make himself heard for the same couple of hours every night. I admire his consistency.

3 comments:

National Disgrace said...

You still haven't mentioned Black Devil Disco Club on Friday man...

Matt Vinyl said...

When are they playing? Not that I'll be going. The night feeds are really hurting my nips.

National Disgrace said...

This Friday in the Button place... (thanks for the image)